Experts from the cycling-enthusiast organization, Time’s Up, teach free weekly bicycle repair classes to the public at their two New York locations. This is a great way for bike-users to get a better understanding of the ins and outs of their bike and how to fix it when problems arise. Here is the full Times Up Calendar of events.
Weekly Bike Repair Classes
Bike repair classes are given on Tuesdays, 6:30-8:30pm at the Manhattan Time’s Up location. The Time’s Up Brooklyn location holds bike repair classes on Tuesdays from 6:30pm to 8:30pm of the same curriculum, but are for female and trans learners and taught by females. The classes run on a 4-class cycle where each week of the month a different class is taught. You can take the classes out of order and can learn at a pace that works for you. Here are the classes:
- First Week–Basics for Beginners: Identifying parts and tools, diagnosing common problems and things you should know before buying a bike. We will also cover how to change tires and fix flats.
- Second Week–Cables and Housing: Installing, adjusting and tightening derailleur and brake cables. Learn how to fix skipping gears and rubbing brake pads.
- Third Week–Cups, Cones and Bearings: Overhauling and rebuilding cup and cone bottom brackets, hubs, and headsets. Identifying when problems are present and whether they need a simple adjustment or a more involved overhaul.
- Fourth Week–Wheels and Spokes: How to true a wheel and replace broken spokes.
- Fifth Week (if applicable)–Open Workshop
Fix-Your-Own-Bike Open Workshop
This is a time where you can bring in your bike to the shop and use their tools and bike stands to work on your bike as you’d like. You are also welcome to ask the many experienced volunteer mechanics any questions you may have about how to fix your bike, but they will not simply do the task for you.
The Manhattan Time’s Up location holds their weekly Fix-Up-Your-Own-Bike Open Workshops every Thursday from 6:30pm to 8:30pm. The Brooklyn Time’s Up location holds two weekly Open Workshops. One is every Sunday from 6pm to 8pm and the other is every Wednesday from 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
Here’s more info:
Manhattan Time’s Up Location
156 Rivington St New York, NY 10002 (in the basement) map
Brooklyn Time’s Up Location
99 South 6th Street, Brooklyn, NY map